- This event has passed.
Professional Learning Opportunity: #DigCit4ME Challenge and January Workshops
January 29 @ 9:00 am - 3:30 pm EST
The Maine Department of Education will be facilitating a series of opportunities for educators to participate in professional learning related to digital citizenship, as well as interacting in the digital world in healthy and safe ways.
· Part one of the series is an online game, which is called the #DigCit4ME Challenge. Only participants who register for part two of the series (the in-person workshop) will be able to play the game. The game serves as a prerequisite to the workshop.
· Part two of the series is a regional in-person workshop, which is open to all educators to attend. Educators are encouraged to attend in school teams. There are a number of opportunities to attend a workshop in January. More information is below.
· Part three of the series is an opportunity for health education and physical education educators to engage in this learning at the spring Health/Physical Education Conference.
In January, there will be in-person regional #DigCit4ME Workshops. Participants will develop a better understanding of the Cross-Curricular Framework for Digital Citizenship from Common Sense Media and the connection to the Maine Learning Results Health Education and Physical Education standards and content areas. Educators will be able to create relevant learning experiences for students to help them incorporate this knowledge and these skills into their daily lives.
Cost: Free to attend
Contact Hours: Earn 6.5 contact hours
Target Audience: Educators who interact with students in grades 5-12
9:00am – 3:30pm
· Welcome and Introductions
· Digital Citizenship Framework from Common Sense Media with Maine’s Health Education and Physical Education Standards
· Resources to build educator knowledge, to share with families, to use in classrooms
· Lunch (provided)
· Goals and expectations for afternoon
· Planning time in small groups
· Sharing time
· Announcements and directions to continue with online game
Locations and Registration
Register for the location of your choosing athttps://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DigCit4MEworkshops2019registration
January 8th, South Portland High School
January 16th, Auburn Middle School
January 25th, University of Maine at Fort Kent
January 29th, Washington Academy (East Machias)
January 30th, Husson University (Bangor)
For more information or answers to questions, please contact:
Amanda Nguyen, Digital Learning Specialist, Amanda.Nguyen@maine.gov
Jean Zimmerman, Physical Education Specialist, Jean.Zimmerman@maine.gov
Susan Berry, Health Education Specialist, Susan.Berry@maine.gov