MEA Privacy Statement
The term “we” or “us” means MEA.
- The term “you” means a current or former MEA member or other person who has provided personal information to us in connection with obtaining an MEA product or service (e.g. a person who has purchased a book from the MEA Professional Library or a person who subscribes to an MEA-produced electronic newsletter).
- The term “personal information” means any piece of information that on its own can specifically identify a current or former MEA member or other person who has provided personal information to us in connection with obtaining an MEA product or service. This would include, but is not limited to, full name, postal address, e-mail address, social security number, or financial information.
- The term “MEA website” means MEA’s external website located at: MEA.org, MEA-NEA.groupsite.com, and any future websites that we may develop.
- The term “MEA Intranet” means MEA’s internal, private, and secured website for local leaders and staff.
- The term “MEA-related organizations” means NEA’s Member Benefits Corporation, NEA Member Insurance Trust, NEA Foundation, NEA Health Information Network, and any other entity created by NEA.
- The term “third party” means a legal entity that is separate and independent from NEA, its state and local affiliates, or any MEA-related organization.
- The term “cookie” means a small file that is placed on your computer that allows a website to store, and sometimes track, information about how you use that website.
- The term “discussion forum” means an asynchronous website component that enables users to exchange ideas by posting questions and answers on relevant subjects. Discussion forums are also commonly referred to as “discussion groups,” “discussion boards,” “message boards,” “bulletin boards,” and “online forums.”
III. Personal Information Collected
We may collect personal information about you from the following sources:
- Personal Information that you voluntarily provide to us on your membership application and other MEA forms – whether online via the MEA website or MEA Intranet or offline via traditional, hard copy forms (such as your name, postal address, telephone number, e-mail address, social security number, etc.).
- Other Personal Information that you voluntarily provide to us via the MEA website or MEA Intranet (such as an e-mail address if you subscribe to an MEA-produced electronic newsletter or other personal information contained in an e-mail that you send to us via the feedback feature of the MEA website).
- Personal Information that we receive from our state and local affiliates or other MEA-related organizations (such as your name, postal address, telephone number, e-mail address, social security number, etc.).
- Personal Information that we receive from third parties (such as insurance claim information in connection with the NEA Educators Employment Liability Program and publicly available voter registration information).
IV. How We Use That Information
The personal information that MEA collects about you helps us and our state and local affiliates and MEA-related organizations to efficiently and effectively represent you and provide you with valuable member benefits.
V. Information Sharing
In order to provide you with efficient and effective representation and member benefits, we routinely share all of the personal information that we collect about you, as described in Section III above, with our state and local affiliates and MEA-related organizations, as well as third parties that perform services on our behalf.
Additionally, we may share any of the personal information that we collect about you, as described in Section III above, with certain third parties that share our interests or as otherwise permitted by law.
VI. Available Choices
Any personal information that you provide to us is voluntary. MEA members may update their personal information at any time. Please use this link to contact us.
If you subscribe to any MEA-produced electronic newsletter, you may cancel your subscription at any time by following the instructions at the bottom of all such newsletters. If you have any problems canceling such a subscription, please contact us at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
California residents have a right under state law to ask entities with whom they have an established business relationship to provide certain information regarding the sharing of personal information for direct marketing purposes during the past year. MEA will honor such a request coming from any current or former MEA member or other person who has provided personal information to us in connection with obtaining an MEA product or service-whether residing in California or not. Simply submit a request to us at one of the following addresses: mailto:email@example.com or NEA Office of General Counsel, 1201 16th Street, N.W., Washington DC 20036, and we will respond within thirty days of receiving your request.
VIII. Information Security
We maintain administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to: (1) insure the security and confidentiality of your personal information; (2) protect against any anticipated threats or hazards to the security or integrity of such information; and (3) protect against unauthorized access to or use of such information. For more information on our information security, contact MEA at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy of the NEA Information Security Program.
IX. Additional Information for Users of the MEA Web Site or MEA Intranet
- Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
If you use the MEA website or the MEA Intranet, you provide us with certain non-personal information in addition to any personal information that you may voluntarily provide. For example, if you browse the MEA website or MEA Intranet or download information, our operating system automatically records the following non-personal information:
- The Internet domain for your Internet service (such as “xcompany.com” or “xcompany.net” if you use a private Internet access account, or “yourcollege.edu” if you connect from a college or university domain);
- The type of browser that you use (such as “America Online version 7” or “Microsoft Internet Explorer 8”);
- The type of operating system that you use (such as Windows or Macintosh);
- The date and time that you visit the MEA website or MEA Intranet and the webpages that you view;
- The address of the previous website that you visited if you linked to us from another website; and
- The address of the next website that you visit if you link to it from the MEA website or MEA Intranet.
We use the above non-personal information to diagnose technical problems and track user interests so that we can provide content that interests you.
We gather this non-personal information in the aggregate and we share it in the same manner that we share personal information, as described in Section V above.
- Discussion Forums
If you participate in a discussion forum on the MEA website or MEA Intranet, your comments, along with any personal information that you voluntarily disclose, may be collected, used, and shared by anyone with access to that forum. We are not responsible for the personal information that you choose to submit in a discussion forum.
The MEA website and MEA Intranet are general websites, and we do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13.
- External Links
XI. Contact Us