MEA Legal Services: Your Safety Net
Working in education, while a noble profession, carries with it a certain amount of risk. Working with children carries additional risks that are not seen in a typical workplace. No one is immune from employment-related disputes, from veteran educators to those brand new in the profession, and one unfounded accusation or misrepresented occurrence can quickly derail a career. That is why you need the legal safety net that comes with membership in the Maine Education Association.
- Staff assistance and access to legal consultation if you are injured in the course of your work or need a leave of absence for health or personal reasons.
- Legal assistance if you face a dismissal for cause hearing.
- Legal representation if an allegation of abuse or inappropriate conduct with a student is filed against you and an investigation is launched by a state agency.
- Legal representation if you are accused of committing a crime for an act you performed related to your school duties.
- Liability insurance coverage for attorney fees and costs if you are acquitted of a criminal charge or if those charges are dismissed.
- Liability insurance coverage to pay for the defense of civil suits brought against you for acts performed related to your work and to cover damages assessed against you in such suits.
- The Attorney Referral Program, which offers discounts for legal representation in matters not related to your school employment, such as wills, real estate and traffic court matters.