The MEA is always looking for new people to join in the conversation! Be a decision maker and run for an open seat in our MEA Elections.
Elections Conducted by the Maine Education Association
Board of Directors
DEADLINE: 5:00pm on September 30, 2023
A vacancy exists in Board District J on the MEA Board of Directors for a one-year term (until July 14, 2024). This position will be appointed and seated by a majority vote of the members of the Board of Directors at the December 9, 2023 meeting.
The Board of Directors duties include:
- General interest of the Association.
- Carry into effect all orders and resolutions of the Association not otherwise provided for.
- Appoint and fix the salary of a full-time Executive Director.
- Provide input to the preparation of the Association budget.
- Manage the business and property affairs of this Association.
- Charter governance affiliates: censure, suspend, or expel a governance affiliate pursuant to procedures adopted by the Board; communicate with and report to their constituency policies and actions of the Board of Directors.
- Decide questions arising as to the interpretation of the provisions of this Constitution, Bylaws, and Standing Rules.
- Attend meetings and the annual Board of Directors Retreat, ACT, Bargaining Council and Governance meetings within their district, MEA-sponsored conferences, the MEA Representative Assembly, and national governance meetings and training sessions as approved by the MEA President.
- Serve on various MEA and other committees as requested by the MEA President and shall attend meetings associated with those committees.
Experience in Association leadership is recommended. All candidates should have flexible schedules for evening and weekend meetings and be available to travel occasionally on weekends and during the summer. Public speaking and meeting facilitation experience are highly recommended.
Interested candidates should complete the Notice of Intent and submit it by 5:00pm on September 30, 2023. If there is more than one candidate, interviews will be conducted by the Board of Directors on December 9, 2023. Immediately following the appointment, the appointed Director will be expected to attend the Board Meeting on December 9th and 10th, which will be held at the MEA Headquarters in Augusta.